There are hundreds of exterior contractors out there, from huge corporations to the small family owned businesses. Finding a trustworthy contractor can be difficult, especially since so many homeowners have unfortunately been taken advantage of. At Boak & Sons, our Ohio roofing contractors will not perform a job without a written and signed contract from our customers, and we want to share why something that may seem so simple could be the most important step you take when hiring a contractor!
- A written contract guarantees you know exactly what to expect. If what you get is different from what is in your contract, that contract can be your backup in correcting an issue!
- Having the agreement signed holds BOTH parties liable for holding up their end. That means the customer and the exterior contractor have both agreed to the contract and cannot make any changes without consent from both parties!
- A written contract will help show you that the contractor is trustworthy. If a contractor tells you they don’t want anything in writing, that’s a huge red flag! Unfortunately, there have been many cases of companies making promises or guarantees who leave customers stranded after payments have been collected and none of the work gets done.
- Record keeping. Just like your doctor keeps track of your medical history, having a copy of your contract can be helpful if you ever need repair work or another project done in the future. If you’re using the same contractor, they can be re-familiarized with the previous work so they know what they’re dealing with. If it’s a new contractor, it will help them learn the history of the property so they know what to expect as well!
- Payment Terms. The last thing you want is to get an estimate for a certain amount and then be blind-sited by a higher cost after the work is complete. Also, you should never put money down on a project before the job is done! Having your payment terms in writing can help you know exactly what you’re paying and keeps you and your contractor on the same page. Plus, if changes need to be made due to unforeseen circumstances, make sure those changes are also recorded in your contract!
While it might not seem like a big deal, having a written contract from your exterior contractor can be one of the most important steps in the process of your project. Our Ohio roofing contractors know that communication is key to a successful job, which is why we are so strict about having a signed contract before the work begins. If you have any questions about how our contracts work, feel free to call our office at 330-793-5646 at any time to speak to one of our employees! If you are ready to start a project, schedule a free estimate on our website at www.boakandsons.com/contact.